Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
U.S. Citizen Services

Overseas voting

Voting Is Now Easier Than Ever Before

Now all U.S. citizens can receive their blank ballots electronically. Depending on the state in which you are eligible to vote, you may get your ballot by email, fax, or internet download. To start, go to to complete a new Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), print and sign the form then return it to your local election office in the United States. We recommend overseas U.S. citizens get in the habit of completing FPCAs each January. You should include your email address on the form so it's easier for your election officials to reach you if there is a problem. If your state delivers ballots electronically by fax only, be sure to include your fax number. If you request electronic delivery and include your email address or fax number, you’ll receive your blank ballot 45 days before general and mid-term elections and generally 30 days before special, primary, and run-off elections for federal offices. Most states now have voter registration verification websites, and many offer a means of tracking the status of your registration and ballot.

IMPORTANT NOTE: States are no longer required to automatically send ballots to voters for an entire election cycle so everyone who wants to vote in U.S. elections from overseas should send in a new Federal Post Card Application in January of each year. See below for additional information on:

Contact Consular Section


  • FVAP Logo Register now to vote absentee in the November elections. The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) has everything you need. (More)

Election Schedules

  • Election schedules image Stay informed about your state's election dates and deadlines and get local election contact information, key votes from your representatives and more using your voter accountThe calendar dates are believed to be accurate unless last minute changes occur.