We accept applications for U.S. passports on Monday and Thursday from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m., except U.S. and Mongolian holidays. Starting 1 September, 2011, services are provided by appointments only. To make an appointment please visit the U.S. Citizens Services Appointment System.
Renew an existing passport
If you were at least age 16 when your current passport was issued and would like to renew your passport you will need to submit:
- Form DS-82. Also this form is available from the Consular Section at the Embassy
- Your current U.S. passport and a photocopy of data page
- 1 passport photograph, size 2in X 2in (5cm X 5cm) Check the requirement for photograph.
- Application fee of $110 payable only in cash in U.S. dollars or the equivalent in Mongolian tugrugs. Please check the requirements on U.S. banknotes (PDF, 33.90KB)
Applying for a passport for the first time OR renewing a passport for minor child
If you are applying for a U.S. passport for the first time, OR your passport is lost/stolen OR your passport has expired/damaged OR you are under 16 years old when your current passport was issued, you will need to submit:
- Form DS-11, also available from the Consular Section at the Embassy
- Proof of US Citizenship - Original U.S. birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Naturalization Certificate or U.S. passport and a copy of each document.
- Proof of Identity - For example, a driver's license, military I.D., etc. Again, all documents must be originals. A photocopy of each are requested too.
- For children under the age of 16 (effective February 01, 2008), evidence of parentage - Original U.S. birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Naturalization Certificate along with a photocopy.
- For lost or stolen passport, a police report with an English translation.
- 1 passport photograph, size 2in X 2in (5cm X 5cm), Check the requirement for photograph
- Application fee of $105.00 (below age 16), $135.00 (Age 16 and above), payable in cash only in US dollars or the equivalent in Mongolian tugrugs. Please check the requirements on U.S. banknotes (PDF, 33.90KB)
To protect children from abduction, and to address concerns regarding runaway children, both parents are required to personally appear at a passport acceptance facility, passport agency or U.S. consular section abroad with minor applicants under the age of 16 (up from age 14) and sign the application.
New forms and new information on applying for a passport is available at http://travel.state.gov/passport/.
- If the submitted document is under a different name, you must provide original evidence of the change of name, such as a marriage certificate or a court order. All documents must be originals. One photocopy of each document are requested too.
- For passport applicants under the age of 16 both parents must appear with the child in front of the Consular Officer to sign the child’s application. If one parent is unable to appear before the Consul, s/he must submit a notarized (U.S. Notary) form DS-3053, along with the passport application.
- If your child's appearance has changed significantly from the photo in the previously issued passport, you need to bring a series of photographs, about two for each year of your child's life, which show the development of your child's appearance.
- Passport applications are now sent electronically to the United States for printing and passports are returned via express courier in approximately two weeks.
- To avoid delays or disruption in travel plans, passport applicants are urged to apply for new passports before the old ones expire, and to allow time for processing of a new passport.
- We will issue passports locally in emergency cases only. These passports have limited validity, and cannot be extended. The bearer of a limited validity passport issued overseas is required to exchange it for a full-validity, photo-digitized passport upon completion of the emergency travel.
More information on passport issuance can be found at http://travel.state.gov/.
Add New Pages To Your Passport
We can also add pages to your existing passport if your travels have filled up the original book. Please download and complete an application for Additional Visa Pages (DS-4035). You need to make service appointment and bring your passport with a photocopy. This service costs 82.00 USD payable in cash only in US dollars or the equivalent in Mongolian tugrugs. Please check the requirements on U.S. banknotes(PDF, 33.90KB).
You may add two additional page inserts to the same passport. If the passport begins to become unwieldy with numerous extra page inserts, you can renew your passport in advance of the expiration date. All the normal fees and forms are required for a passport renewal.
Amend Your Existing Passport
Effective September 26, 2005, as an additional security enhancement, we can no longer amend valid passports. Instead, customers requesting name changes, extension of validity for limited passports or correction of a printing error must apply for a new passport.
If the change is within one year after issuance, you must submit a U.S. Passport Re-Application form (DS 5504), together with the passport that needs the change, the documentation required, and new passport photos. There will be no charge for routine processing.
If the change is more than one year after issuance, customers will need to submit an Application for Passport by Mail (DS-82), together with the passport that needs the change, the documentation to show why and how the change is required and new pictures. The cost includes the $70 application fee and $40 security surcharge, for a total of $110 for routine processing. Of course, if the requested data change is due to a printing error by Passport Services, there will be no charge.
All of these forms are available online at http://travel.state.gov/. The Passport Amendment/Validation Form (DS-19), previously used to amend passports, is no longer valid. For more information on applying for a U.S. passport, forms, and a wealth of other international travel information, please visit travel.gov website.
See also: Lost and Stolen U.S. Passports Abroad
Join Our Online Community
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.