Current Scholarship Announcements
Fulbright English Teaching Assistant Program (ETA)
Call for Host Institutions Applications 2013
The Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy in Ulaanbaatar is now accepting applications for Host Institutions for the Fulbright English Teaching Assistant Program for the academic year of 2013-2014. Universities and university departments in Mongolia are eligible to submit applications to host an American English Teaching Assistant (ETA).
The Fulbright ETA Program is sponsored and managed by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, U.S. Department of State (ECA) and aims to enhance cross-cultural communication opportunities by providing a native speaker presence in Mongolian universities. Fulbright ETAs assist in strengthening English language instruction, while providing cultural insights. At the same time, U.S. participants will grow and learn from intensive cross-cultural interaction and an international education experience.
Fulbright ETAs are young and motivated recent college/university graduates who are willing to serve as cultural ambassadors offering an opportunity to establish a native speaker presence in the classroom of a Mongolian university. ETAs are not professional teachers, therefore they are eager to learn from host institutions professional teachers the teaching methodology and other aspects of professional teaching.
Eligibility Requirements for Host Institutions:
- Be an accredited Mongolian university or educational institution
- Provide a project proposal giving background information about the university, short description of English teaching program at the school and what teaching is expected of the ETA.
- Be able to offer Mongolian language and culture lessons to the ETA (please describe what kind of program you can offer in your project proposal).
- Be able to provide suitable housing (clean, safe, with kitchen area, private bathroom and laundry facility) for the ETA for the entire academic year, if suitable housing is not available, institutions must provide an adequate housing allowance to rent a comparable apartment near the school or in the downtown area (please also describe in the project proposal).
- Be responsible for an incoming ETA’s student visa for Mongolia, arrival, and residential registrations with the Foreign Citizens Registration Bureau.
- Provide a letter of support from the university/school director which notes a responsible mentor or assigned host professor to the ETA.
What ETAs can offer to a Host institution:
No more than 20 hours per week of classroom teaching, plus requisite class preparation time. English Teaching Assistants (ETA’s) will also organize language-related cross-cultural student activities. A mix of co-teaching and independent teaching will vary from school to school and will depend on the school’s situation as well as the assistant’s background and qualifications.
Interested universities/departments shall submit the project proposal before 17:00, Friday, March 15, 2013 to the Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy, Ulaanbaatar. Proposals should be submitted by email to email@example.com. Proposals submitted in paper will not be accepted.
Successful universities will sign an agreement with the Embassy upon eligibility of hosting an ETA.
Public Affairs Section
U.S. Embassy Mongolia
Big Ring Road, XI Microdistrict
Telephone: 70076001 ext.6182